July 13, 2009

Too much information




"To attain knowledge, add things every day. To attain wisdom, remove things every day."
- Lao-Tzu, Tao Te Ching.

Very often when I am busy gathering important and for me interesting information, I forget that I am actually quite devoted to the path of emptying my mind from information, the Taoists way. There are always so many new and interesting pieces of information out there, the mind is like a little child reaching out a hand and saying, "Gimme!". There will never be enough for your hungry brain, once it values information above wisdom. 
In my experience the mind is very much at peace when it is in a no-thought state. So today, going through another pile of essays and words online- I said to myself ENOUGH! You already have and know everything that you need to know.

Chuang-tzu (Master Chuang), who followed the teachings of Lao-tzu, describes the empty mind in his monumental work that bears his name by stating:

    "The still mind of the sage is the mirror of heaven and earth, the glass of all things. Vacancy, stillness, placidity, tastelessness, quietude, silence, and non-action - this is the Level of heaven and earth, and the perfection of the Tao and its characteristics." (Legge version)

The still mind is a mind that is not moving, or put another way it is the mirror of the universe. This is the pure mind of ancient Taoist masters.

Chuang-tzu illustrates the empty mind in several stories:

~

Consciousness wandered North to the land of Dark Waters and climbed the Unnoticeable Slope, where he met the Speechless Non-Doer. "I have three questions for you," Consciousness said, "First, what thoughts and efforts will lead us to understanding the Tao? Second, where must we go and what must we do to find peace in the Tao? Third, from what point must we start and which road must we follow in order to reach the Tao? Speechless Non-Doer gave him no answer.

Consciousness traveled South to the land of the Bright Ocean and climbed the mountain of Certainty, where he met the Impulsive Speech-Maker. He asked him the same three questions. "Here are the answers," Impulsive Speech-Maker replied. But as soon as he started to speak, he became confused and forgot what he was talking about.

Consciousness returned to the palace and asked the Yellow Emperor, who told him, "To have no thought and put forth no effort is the first step towards understanding the Tao. To go nowhere and do nothing is the first step towards finding peace in the Tao. To start from no point and follow no road is the first step towards reaching the Tao."

~

On his way back from the K'un-lun Mountains, the Yellow Emperor lost the dark pearl of Tao. He sent Knowledge to find it, but Knowledge was unable to understand it. He sent Distant Vision, but Distant Vision was unable to see it. He sent Eloquence, but Eloquence was unable to describe it.

Finally, he sent Empty Mind, and Empty Mind came back with the pearl.

~

"I am learning," Yen Hui said.
"How?" the master asked.
"I forgot the rules of Righteousness and the levels of Benevolence," he replied.
"Good, but could be better," the Master said.
A few days later, Yen Hui remarked, "I am making progress."
"How?" the Master asked.
"I forgot the Rituals and the Music," he answered.
"Better, but not perfect," the Master said.
Some time later, Yen Hui told the Master, "Now I sit down and forget everything."
The Master looked up, startled. "What do you mean, you forget everything?" he quickly asked.
"I forget my body and senses, and leave all appearance and information behind," answered Yen Hui. "In the middle of Nothing, I join the Source of All Things."
The Master bowed. "You have transcended the limitations of time and knowledge. I am far behind you. You have found the Way!"

~

Stories from Bejamin Hoff's wonderful book "The Tao of Pooh". If you love Pooh- go here. :)





4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading a co-worker's copy of the tao of pooh! It is an excellent introduction to the teachings. It makes me want to meditate daily. Unfortunately, I often need to be inspired to keep up with my meditations.

    Excellent share and cool track my friend!

    One of my favorite tracks on the subject of living in this mind-numbing information age is this one --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnskOeBAoS8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its the same way with me, I often lack the motivation to do the sitting meditation on a regular daily basis, something that I intend to change. But meditation is everything, not just sitting with your eyes closed. I meditate mostly when I am walking now, or in mundane actions like cooking and cleaning, or when I am waiting somewhere.

    Thank you Markus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! I agree with everything you say.
    You know you planted the same thought in my mind from your comment on my blog about choosing one thing. To focus on one thing when faced with information overload.

    Except I think knowledge has its place too.
    The source of wisdom is like energy I think?
    Without knowledge it has nothing to "work on".
    Unless the connection is very deep, to the Source itself,
    which is hard for me to imagine... a state of enlightenment?

    And I feel the same way about meditation too, of which I know so little.
    Except the calm state when walking and counting the breath, or before going to sleep.
    I know it goes so much deeper...

    Thank you again for such a wise and beautiful blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks nonerotic. I agree with you that knowledge has an important place, the truths that move wisdom however can be very few and very simple, the rest seems to be just a game of turning this-that around in ones brain, game of duality. Nothing wrong with entertaining the mind. When the mind has nothing to dwell on except the direct beauty of the Now, then even "truth" is just a concept. Direct experience without analysis, it is not impossible! :)

    ReplyDelete