July 19, 2009

Lessons from nature


I am very lucky to be living in an area where I have millions of lovers. I try to pay a visit to as many as I can as often as I am able to. They come in all shapes and sizes. Some are strong and some are delicate. Some you have to kneel down to in order to greet. With some you have to reach up your hands above your head in order to shake theirs. They come in all colours, they talk in different languages. Some are old lovers that I met years ago, with them I have a special relationship, I always stop and stay underneath their loving arms for a while. Most are new-comers, who come and go each year, though their essence feels as prevailing as if there had been no pause and no change of shape. Many have just been born, and with them I always share an inner dialogue. “Hello! Hi there! Wow, look at YOU! Welcome! Aren‘t YOU amazing!”
I live in a little green village in the outskirts of a grey, polluted, bustling capital city. Every house has a garden with a variety of exotic trees and flowers. I enjoy nothing more than to go plant-gazing near my house. The tiny white-brick houses are softened with roses and vines crawling up the walls. Nature lives in peace with the houses here. People are always busy in their gardens, weeding the plants and planting new ones.  The smell of freshly mowed lawn.. The curving green Dublin mountains in the background..  And the hour suddenly becomes an hour in paradise.
I greeted all my favourite trees today and paid homage to many amazing flowers.
Looking for the Divine, it smiles back in a breathtaking way.
And all you can feel is- Thank you, you tree! Thank you- you flower. Thank you for existing.  Thank you for being so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your love.  If I could bow down to each of you for the rest of my life, I still wouldn’t be able to express my gratitude.
I feel the same instant falling in love feeling whenever I meet a dog or cat, fox or any other animal that lives in my neighbourhood or anywhere else I find myself. It comes so natural to at once share a smile with them, and greet them with an open heart.
On the way back home, being wonderfully energised, I came across several people. For some reason every face that I saw looked familiar, yet I don’t think that I had ever met them before. All of them looked like old friends. I smiled. Some smiled back. And some didn’t.
So this made me think today- why is it that there seems to be an obstacle to greeting every single human being in the same way as when we greet nature while in communion with it. I never meet a single tree, flower, or animal, who I don’t feel absolute love towards. I never meet a plant that I don’t like, or a puppy that I feel I don’t want to hold and embrace. So why do I feel this when I meet certain types of people? Are they not the same as all the other creations of nature, are they all not born from the Divine, are they not all beautiful. Yes they dance in their own unique way, they move in all sorts of crazy manners at times, they act in ways that seem to be removed from love and the divine essence at times as well. But in reality- is it not merely a simple dance that they do, just like a tree can bend down and take away the sun-light from a flower, who could in fact too feel violated and feel the tree is not very loving in its actions. The flower however bends up in unison with the tree and still beams out beauty.
Yet if a person was walking down the street greeting every human being with eyes filled with love, with recognition, would their response more often than not be- why is she looking at me like that, my god she seems a bit weird? It seems we are not used to being loved, perhaps because we don’t love ourselves and therefore do not understand strangers loving us for no reason. If we ourselves were greeted with awe and wonder and a recognition of deep beauty, would we not feel uncomfortable, would we not resist and disagree with such an attitude?
Which tree, plant, or animal shies away and is ungrateful for being loved? On the contrary- they always answer back in love and fill you with beautiful, wonderfully tingling energy. We have much to learn from nature I feel.


13 comments:

  1. For right now all I can say is WOW! I have so much running through my head about how much I can relate to this, and to a certain extent, how much I live this! When I return tonight I will elaborate on it. I just need to let it... actually, most times my words donn't capture my feelings as I wold hope, so we will see.

    This was a diamond expression from a golden soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too kind, Markus, but thank you so much! I feel very grateful for sharing this planet with fellow spirits like yourself. Keep shining! Metta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifully expressed, Hille! I feel honored to know a special friend like you with such an open heart and sensitivity to all living things.
    Much metta,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hillie
    This is Stolenfeather's new group, maybe you might like to check it out.

    Also, I have started a group here on multiply that you might be interested to join or to browse through: http://northamerwildlife.multiply.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not at all Carrie, I feel honoured to know you! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a very cool wildlife site, thanks Karol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pleasure, I know we are kindred spirits when it comes to animals and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, indeed! And the Canadian wildlife seems very much similar to the northern-Europe wildlife, so cool.
    With lots of metta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blog.

    And beautiful that you feel this connection with all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hillie,
    Eastern Canada where Stolenfeather is featuring, has somewhat different wildlife from Western Canada where I am, although we have many of the same species in common. Our climate is warmer here than the East, which is why I ran away from there and the harsh winters.
    I so wish I had some tech knowledge, I would show you our eagles, they are so magnificent and abundant. They often perch high up in the trees in back yards. Unfortunately,the bears and the cougars visit as well and often come to a sad end because of contact with people; walking into their homes, etc., And would you believe, this is not country I am speaking of, but city. A city of over 2 million people . . I have had raccoons walk across my bed and out the bedroom windows as I slept. I know this because of their footprints on the sheet, and the turned over water dish, and food from here to there. The same group of bandits walked into my living room as I watched T.V. a few nights later. They have absolutely no fear. My Cats sit and look at them, , not that I encourage that, ( I do know the danger) but...they do. Anyway, all of this to say, I live in a beautiful city where the wildlife .... is just there... quite incredible, and I think you would love it.
    Northern Europe- Sweden, Norway, Denmark??? What about your wildlife?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Wow! That must be both a bit frightful and very lovely at the same time, to have such guests. No you will not spot such animals in Estonian cities, where I am from. In cities I think I have just spotted a few foxes but I see them often in Ireland in the city as well and they are always so shy. But in general in Estonia we have brown bears, cougars, wolves, wild boars, deer, moose etc. Eagles too, I love these birds above any other, but unfortunately I don't think they are that abundant anymore. We are very much nature children though in Estonia, there is so much folklore about wild animals, we still revere them very much. I do miss home in this aspect. Just missed the midsummers eve now, bonfire night, this is long disappeared in Ireland for example.
    Thanks for conjuring up such a lovely image of Canada in my head, sounds like a place I want to visit one day. :) With Metta!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your lovely response, Hillie. I always feel a special connection when sharing with a fellow animal enthusiast. The wildlife in your country sounds much like our own. I hope I didn't leave the impression that these visits from the wild are an every-day occurrence, they are not, but often.Not every back yards have eagles, but I have seen more than a few. I hope someday you will visit. The Olympics are coming next year, good reason for a visit. I am going to attach a link on Vancouver, so you can have a peek. - Enjoy!

    http://www.seevancouverbc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow thanks so much Karol, I really enjoyed looking at the photos! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete