June 23, 2009

Pablo Neruda video poems




There is something truly magical about the poetry of Pablo Neruda. Especially if you listen to it in the original language, put a background music to it and let your eyes be filled with beautiful images from nature. Here are some video poems of his I have found, welcome to a journey of magic and deep emotion.


Love Sonnets IX

I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.

Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.

I hunger for your sleek laugh,
your hands the color of a savage harvest,
hunger for the pale stones of your fingernails,
I want to eat your skin like a whole almond.

I want to eat the sunbeam flaring in your lovely body,
the sovereign nose of your arrogant face,
I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes,
and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight,
hunting for you, for your hot heart,
like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue.





Leaning Into The Afternoons

Leaning into the afternoons I cast my sad nets Towards your oceanic eyes.

There in the highest blaze my solitude lengthens and flames, Its arms turning like a drowning man’s

I send out red signals across your absent eyes That move like the sea near a lighthouse.

You keep only darkness, my distant female, From your regard sometimes the coast of dread emerges.

Leaning into the afternoons I fling my sad nets To that sea that beats on your marine eyes.

The birds of night peck at the first stars That flash like my soul when I love you.

The night gallops on its shadowy mare Shedding blue tassels over the land.

Leaning into the afternoons I cast my sad nets Towards your oceanic eyes.






I Like For You To Be Still

I like for you to be still

It is as though you are absent
And you hear me from far away
And my voice does not touch you
It seems as though your eyes had flown away
And it seems that a kiss had sealed your mouth
As all things are filled with my soul
You emerge from the things
Filled with my soul
You are like my soul
A butterfly of dream
And you are like the word: Melancholy

I like for you to be still
And you seem far away
It sounds as though you are lamenting
A butterfly cooing like a dove
And you hear me from far away
And my voice does not reach you
Let me come to be still in your silence
And let me talk to you with your silence
That is bright as a lamp
Simple, as a ring
You are like the night
With its stillness and constellations
Your silence is that of a star
As remote and candid

I like for you to be still
It is as though you are absent
Distant and full of sorrow
So you would've died
One word then, One smile is enough
And I'm happy;
Happy that it's not true






4 comments:

  1. Hi Hille, I'm beginning to wonder if we're clones. :o) Pablo Neruda is one of my favorite poets. What else! Anyway, would you mind posting "Leaning Into the Afternoons" in the poetry blog at my site? Or if you would prefer to keep it your site, that's okay too.
    Thanks for all your help at BT today. It's really appreciated.
    Much metta,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol on the clones. No problem at all Carrie, my pleasure!
    Lots of metta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only discovered Neruda recently.
    Maybe just last week...

    I'd only read the third one before
    And the videos are lovely too,
    But I definitely needed the translations.

    Thanks!!!
    M

    ReplyDelete