December 03, 2012

A musical interlude- some of my favourite Estonian ethnic folk


Where else to go other than to more music and back to the roots. Sharing a few of my current favourites from Estonian ethnic folk scene. Enjoy!




Chorus:
"So much life
So much light
So much silence and 
graceful clarity above the sleeping fields"





This one's an old Estonian folk song about a girl who's being tempted by men with gold and silver, but she blows them off and lives for herself and the beauty of the world.

"He promised to carry me in his arms for my whole life
And to give me the treasure below the end of the rainbow
I replied to him: ''I'd rather drown myself than give in to the temptation of gold!''
Up and down, with un-tied hair I swing down from the edge of the sky 
Free as a bluebird
To fly here and there
when love and joy fills my chest
It's beauty that keeps me in this world"




"From within darkness 

I find my head
So you never have to 
stay beside me as a guard
Once again I am buying stars
from the sheer light of the sky"


And finally one of my all-time favourites, this ethnic metal band is simply class. The message of it nicely tying up to my previous blog and forming a circle..



"Everyone has a song of their heart
Its different for everyone
Everyone here has their own song
but I can't find mine"

8 comments:

  1. This is a lovely page, you've done really well (with it). : )

    Inspiring, actually. I've not yet up my blogger account, but you've shown the potential of the site.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arjuna, I learned something from this. Background can influence expression in the fore-ground. I had no interest in blogging, for a long time. Then I found this site and a beautiful background, the canvas was so pretty for me that even though I had no intention of blogging then- something opened up, I loved the art of this site, it inspired me to put something there, I started filling the pages. A wonderful lesson- change the background and things you think you do not want to do will suddenly become things inspired!

      Delete
  2. (The music's very tasteful. Wistful & sometimes melancholic, but beautiful).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved all these songs!!! (especially the ones with female vocals) Thanks for the introduction to Estonian music!

    Here's my response to the last one... Within Temptation (with Black Symphony) - 'Stand my Ground' (whole concert is amazing)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's something not communicable- the importance of song to Estonians. The facts say we have one of the largest surviving reservoirs of folk songs in the world. The experiential non-measurable reality is- without singing- there is no life for us. I showed the documentary of the singing revolution recently to a brazilian good friend of mine and only this made her go- ok finally now I see why you are like this, why you are going into a trance almost, singing is all at some parties.
    Music is life! Song is life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its okay to delete but I don't appreciate the note that the administrator has deleted it, as if it was something wrong.. :)

    Note- this comment was deleted by request of the commentator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't appreciate that at all either... when you delete a comment, isn't there a "remove forever" option? I tried deleting my double-post (not the one you deleted, which was asking if you could delete properly...) but it still left a message saying it had been deleted by commenter. It must be possible to delete comments properly, but only admin has the power.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, have you ever sung in dreams? I think I have, but extremely rarely, only once I really remember. But it was amazingly uplifting to wake up from. In real-life, I almost never sing, not aloud anyway. I listen :)

    ReplyDelete