October 26, 2012





The first time they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, the "graduation" ceremony from my kinder-garden- I answered book-keeper. My mother was a librarian, that's all I knew of professions and I loved books. I didn't know I had mixed up the word a little. But why would someone ask you what your professional dream is when you are 5 anyway? I am 32 now and I still don't know!

When I went to school, they asked us to write a creative story for a competition. I chose the theme of happiness. I wrote a piece of tragedy, of a person who had followed the worlds desire for happiness and all the society's guidelines to get there- she got a career, family, house, possessions- and didn't feel happy at all. She ended up killing herself, her final words- now I am finally happy cause I no longer have to be. It ended with a question- does the pursuit of happiness actually hinder/block the possibility of happiness. I had no idea what happiness was at that time or how to do it, but somehow I knew something in the world was off. My teacher told me she had read the story 5 times, she still didn't understand it, but she was kind enough to award it a prize, and I knew I must have stepped on something worth investigation.

And now, after many lessons in the school of life- all I want too- is to be happy. The ultimate difference is-I know now what makes me happy. I know I would be happy with a bare minimum surrounded by a natural and free culture, I know I need my time of solitude to commune with mother earth and father sky, I know I need to move like the wind sometimes. Personal. Simple. Doable. Actual.
Why do we live in a society which makes such a simple goal like happiness so hard for us.. In a world where only tremendous free spirits like John Lennon can understand it from a young age! (My utter respect!) 
We all want to be happy. We all want to be free. To understand that what we are told and what we are sold is not the way to happiness- that usually takes time. Making mistakes, suffering, waves, confusions... Above all courage to break free of the opinion of others. Willingness to search for our own way. Why is that so lacking? 
Travelers in the fog. No matter how many people ahead tell us of the way to clarity- we can never learn or know until our own steps have reached the end of our own maze. 
All I want to say in this particular ramble is- keep on your path, years are minuscule in comparison to the infinity that the essence of you will come to. Get lost, so utterly lost that you don't know who you are, that nothing makes sense, get as lost as you possibly can if you want. Or find your way now. Same difference. :)

5 comments:

  1. I like the sentiment, but I doubt that's a proper quote. It's not his handwriting, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a funny thing because in another version of the quote it begins... "When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up..." you somehow synced into that! Maybe he did say it, bu tthe internet is so full of fake quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you be happy!

    May all your friends be happy!

    May all your fellow wanderers on the path of life be happy!

    May all sentient being be happy!

    –Buddha (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, I didnt think of that. As for Buddha quotes- I always know they're fake, is there a single actual one... Yet likewise- if they inspire- great anyway, no...
    Thanks okei!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it's the sentiment that matters. There are sayings of the Buddha attributed two thousand years ago, so they are real in the sense that Buddhist scholars really attributed them to him then. They are then as real as Buddha himself, because what else can Buddha mean for us as a person, but these records of him that were handed down? How else can we know him? Well, apart from on this one day, lol... by meeting his ghost!

    Happy Samhain!

    Have fun!

    I went to a dhamma talk tonight with two people dressed as monks... they really were monks! Fantastic people. Their Metta meditation was an extension of this...

    May you be happy, healthy & wise! (extending outwards)

    They also said... at the beginning, the body protests and resists, but the mind is strong in its faith, and says, "it's okei!" How fitting, it's the name of my blogspot. :)

    ReplyDelete