May 03, 2012

Two poems by Doris Kareva


Two poems by Doris Kareva
(translated by Tiina Aleman)



That Which Is Can Be Expressed

I don't know if all roads lead to truth,
but every truth is a road.
The sea is salty from the glad tears
of the rivers, when they meet.

Into that apocalyptic water
I throw all my delusions,
into the clean water dregs of the times,
black pepper into the golden honey.

Suddenly there's lightness. Suddenly it's clear.
Everything is still and separate.


Idleness Is Often Empowering...

Idleness is often empowering,
recreating oneself—
just as the moon gradually
grows full once again,
a battery surely and
steadily recharges,
so everything, everyone
must have time for the self—

for mirth and laziness
time to be human.


6 comments:

  1. Doris Kareva (b. 1958) is an Estonian poet, editor, and translator. She has published thirteen poetry collections, most recently Shape of Time (2005). A volume of her essays was published in 2007, and her newest volume of poetry, The Cut, will be published in late 2007. Her poems have been translated into more than fifteen languages, including Greek, Thai, and Hindi. In 2003, her collection Mandragora was staged by Tallin City Theatre. Kareva has edited anthologies of Estonian poetry, and translated the work of Auden, Beckett, Dickinson, and Shakespeare. She has twice been awarded the State Cultural Prize, and has received many other awards and honors as well. She currently serves as Secretary General of the Estonian National Commission for UNESCO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poems, Hille. I have an Estonian contact on Multiply called Tiina. She's very bright. Should / could I connect you? Am sure she'd be interested in Kareva, or have heard of her.

    I see you're a night owl, as am I. : )

    Metta

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kareva is one of the top poets and very well loved, unfortunately lots lost in translation cause of her use of rhythm and alliteration, always a difficulty with translating estonian.

    This is early days for me ;).. I often go to sleep when the sun is coming up but at least I always get to see both the sunset and the sunrise.. :)
    They say that if you are born in the night-time (I was born close to midnight for example), then this is where your natural rhythm got started and these people will be night-owls. From my own little survey from my friends this theory seems to hold true.
    Thanks and metta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate well to the second one. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!!! (and with du Pré in the background)

    ReplyDelete